Sunflower Field at Dix Park
Update 7/25: The sunflowers are finished blooming for 2022. See you next summer!
- The Sunflower Field is located off Hunt Drive near the former soccer fields and the historic cemetery.
- Sunflower Field is free to visit 7 days-a-week, from dawn until dusk.
- Weekday sunflower parking is available in gravel lot off Hunt Drive and in the parking lot near the Magnolia Room off Umstead Drive.
- On weeknights and weekends, visitors are welcome to use any paved lot.
- Take the Greenway to Dix Park via Rocky Branch or Centennial Bikeway Connector.
We love seeing your sunflower photos! Tag us on social media: @dixpark | #DixParkSunflowers | #DixPark
Know Before You Go
- To see the sunflowers up close, walking up and down hills, in grass and on uneven surfaces will be necessary.
- We recommend outdoor essentials like sunscreen, hats, bug spray and close-toed shoes.
- Please stay on the paths in the field and keep children and pets from straying into the sunflowers.
- Please do not pick the flowers!
- Pets must be kept on a leash and pick up after them.
- Port-a-johns are located near the Sunflower Field and Magnolia Room.
- Indoor restrooms are available in the The Chapel during visitor hours.
- NC Department of Health and Human Services employees work on the campus Monday -Friday. Please be respectful of their working environment and avoid all buildings and DHHS parking areas during business hours.
Currently, portions of Dix Park - including around the sunflower field - have uneven paths and surfaces, and are not fully accessible for all mobility needs. Accessibility is a primary focus for park improvements, planning and development. Learn more about Accessibility at Dix Park.
Planning a visit to Dix Park and have other questions about accessibility? Contact Joseph Voska, Program & Operations Supervisor at 919-996-6688 or Joseph.Voska@raleighnc.gov.
Professional photographers are welcome to have photo shoots/sessions at the Dix Park Sunflower Field, however, all commercial film or photography in a City of Raleigh Park requires a permit. You can apply for an annual film permit directly through the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department. This is a one year permit and covers all City of Raleigh Parks. To apply for the permit, please contact Kathryn Gebhardt with the Raleigh Parks at 919-996-4510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Not Allowed
- Picking/cutting the flowers & eating the sunflower seeds
- Off-leash pets
- Outside alcoholic beverages
- Smoking or vaping
- Weapons of any kind
- Drones or other aerial devices. These are welcome on the Big Field only.
Dix Park Sunflower Facts
- Our sunflower field is a City of Raleigh effort between Raleigh Water, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources and the Office of Sustainability.
- Raleigh Water preps the field in spring and plants the sunflower seeds in mid-May. In 2022:
- 198,000 seeds were planted, which equals 25lbs of seed.
- Clearfield Sunflower Seeds is the variety planted.
- Raleigh Parks waters and maintains the field as the flowers grow.
- The sunflower field serves as a massive pollinator habitat for bees and other species. Learn more about the City's Pollinator Protection Projects.
- After the bloom is over, Raleigh Water harvests the sunflowers at Dix Park to process biodiesel for educational programs and demonstrations.
Contact us at email@example.com or call 919-996-3255