Sunflower Field at Dix Park
2022 sunflower field has been planted! Bloom is expected mid to late July.
- The Sunflower Field is located off Hunt Drive near the former soccer fields and the historic cemetery.
- Weekday Sunflower Parking is available in gravel lot off Hunt Drive and in the parking lot near the Magnolia Room off Umstead Drive.
- On weeknights and weekends, park visitors are welcome to use any paved lot.
- You can walk or bike to the park. Dix Park is located on the Rocky Branch Greenway.
- Sunflower Field is free to visit seven days-a-week, from dawn until dusk.
- We love seeing your sunflower photos! Tag us on social media: @dixpark | #DixParkSunflowers | #DixPark
Dix Park Sunflower Facts
- Our sunflower field is a City of Raleigh effort between Raleigh Water, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources and the Office of Sustainability.
- Raleigh Water preps the field in spring and plants the sunflower seeds in mid-May. In 2022:
- 198,000 seeds were planted, which equals 25lbs of seed.
- Clearfield Sunflower Seeds is the variety planted.
- Raleigh Parks waters and maintains the field as the flowers grow.
- The sunflower field serves as a massive pollinator habitat for bees and other species. Learn more about the City's Pollinator Protection Projects.
- After the bloom is over, Raleigh Water harvests the sunflowers at Dix Park to process biodiesel for educational programs and demonstrations.
Know Before You Go
- To see the sunflowers up close, walking up and down hills, in grass and on uneven surfaces will be necessary.
- We recommend outdoor essentials like sunscreen, hats, bug spray and close-toed shoes.
- Please stay on the paths in the field and keep children and pets from straying into the sunflowers.
- Pets must be kept on a leash and pick up after them.
- Please do not pick the flowers.
- Port-a-johns are located near the Sunflower Field and Magnolia Room.
- Indoor restrooms are available in the The Chapel during visitor hours.
- NC Department of Health and Human Services employees work on the campus Monday -Friday. Please be respectful of their working environment and avoid all buildings and DHHS parking areas during business hours.
Currently, portions of Dix Park - including the sunflower field - have uneven paths and surfaces and are not fully accessible for all mobility needs.
Accessibility is a primary focus for park improvements, planning and development. Learn more about Accessibility at Dix Park.
We have received requests for Accessible Vehicle Tours to view the sunflower field. The Dix Park team is working to establish some dates and times for groups and individuals to safely drive the sunflower loop. More information to come.
Planning a visit to Dix Park and have questions about accessibility? Contact Joseph Voska, Program & Operations Supervisor at 919-996-6688 or Joseph.Voska@raleighnc.gov.
Professional photographers are welcome to have sessions at the Dix Park Sunflower Field, however, all commercial film or photography in a City of Raleigh Park requires a permit. You can apply for an annual film permit directly through the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources Department. This is a one year permit and covers all City of Raleigh Parks. To apply for the permit, please contact Kathryn Gebhardt with the Raleigh Parks at 919-996-4510 or email@example.com.
What is Not Allowed
- Picking/cutting the flowers
- Outside alcoholic beverages
- Smoking or vaping in the park
- Weapons of any kind
- Drones and other aerial devices are welcome on the Big Field only
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-996-3255