Train your eyes and ears for urban birding with Deja Perkins aka Naturally Wild!
Learn about the resident and migrant birds of Dorothea Dix Park and sharpen your bird identification skills as we practice birding by sight and by ear to prepare for spring migration. Get ready to learn tips for identifying sparrows, woodpeckers, hawks and more. Contribute to real science data as we monitor how the diversity of birds changes in the park from month to month.
This program is free to the public thanks to Dix Park Conservancy donors.
Instructor: Deja Perkins, Naturally Wild
Time: 8:00 - 10:00 am
Location: Meet at the Flower Cottage
Registration: Participation is limited. Registration is required.
Know Before You Go
- Pack your binoculars and comfy shoes, and let’s go birding together! No Binoculars? No problem! There will be 15 pairs of sanitized binoculars available for use during the program (first come first served basis).
- Walking up hills, in grass and on uneven surfaces will be necessary. Closed-toe shoes are recommended.
- Restroom facilities are available in the Chapel along with drinking water, please bring a water bottle to fill.
- Temporary restrooms and water stations are available throughout the park.
- If there is inclement weather, the tour will be canceled and registered participants will be notified by email.
Dorothea Dix Park continues to strive to be accessible and welcoming for visitors, including those with disabilities. Currently, portions of Dorothea Dix Park, including some areas where programs and events occur, have uneven surfaces and are not fully accessible. Accessibility is a primary focus for early park improvements and all future planning and development.
Parking: Accessible parking spaces are available in all lots.
Restrooms: Accessible port-a-johns are located at the Big Field and Flowers Field. Indoor accessible restrooms are available in the newly renovated Chapel.
Programs and events: Raleigh Parks Inclusion Services works with community members to support participation. To request a program modification based on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please complete and submit the Accommodation Request Form or contact Inclusion Services staff at 919-996-2147 or ParksInclusion@raleighnc.gov.
Contact Dix Park Staff at 919-996-3255 or email@example.com